Monday 12 October 2015

Ah November and the return of NaNoWriMo

I know we are still in October but as things turn autumnal my mind starts to think about NaNoWriMo - National Novel Writing Month. The premise is just as the name suggests; write a book in a month. Or at least 50K words to be exact.

I did it last year. That book is currently with my agent and I'm crazy excited to share it with the wider world in the near future. And I'm all set for NaNoWriMo next month. My experience last year really helped me fine tune my writing and get used to working to really tight deadlines. I've planned out this year's project I now just need November to start so I can sit down and do it. Oh, and I also need to finish my current WIP before then...

If this is going to be your first NaNoWriMo then best of luck to you! And if you're back for another round then what's the matter with you? Gluten for punishment? ; ) In all seriousness it is a lot of fun and the camaraderie online during it all is insanely helpful and inspiring.

But, tips! Let me bestow on you some essential truths I've learned through being a writer...

Cereal.



It's a quick, easy satisfying meal. During November cereal in its variety of forms should become your best friend.

Pyjamas



Comfort is key. If you're uncomfortable at your computer/typewriter/stone tablet, whatever you write on, you won't stay there long enough to hit your target if you're not super comfy. And warm. If you're in the UK like me then staying warm can be an issue. When I write I'm beneath a duvet and snuggled in my Jedi dressing gown. Yes, I totally do channel the force as I write especially during NaNoWriMo! : )

Targets

Image result for target

Pick a daily target and then stick to it. No matter what! I don't care if the zombie apocalypse just broke out beneath your window. You need to get those words down dammit!

Just Write



Don't edit. Editing comes later. Accompanied by jelly babies (at least for me), lots and lots of jelly babies...

Available

Image result for not single

If like me you're already in a relationship then I pity you. Because a spouse wants things, like your time. And time is something you just can't go giving away during NaNoWriMo! My advice during November; don't date. Just become a hermit. Live in your little writing cave and only surface to grab some cereal and an extra blanket.

But the most important thing of all is HAVE FUN. Because that's why we do this, right? Because we love it? NaNoWriMo is a great incentive to crank a book out in just a month, to do something you've always been meaning to get around to. But don't make yourself miserable. Write your book, have fun with it and then use December to recover and stuff your face with turkey when Christmas rolls around.

All images sourced online

Good luck everyone, happy writing!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment